Presenter: Attorney Denise Blommel
Notes by: Anne O’Malley Edelstein – Arizona Academic Decathlon
1/3 of workers are contingent workers
Who is a 1099 and who is a w-2 employee?
3 years in minimum wage records available for audits
As of December 1st, 2016 – Exempt salary min.
Overtime pay was instituted to try and increase employment rather than pay overtime.
Minimum wage in AZ is $8.05
FLSA – Overtime
- 40 work hours per week
- Can keep a peerson on salary but you can pay overtime.
- Breaks and meals – one break has to be given only to nursing mom for 1 year per Federal law
- No breaks required by AZ law – non exempt employees
- Outside of agriculturural work – no one under 14 years old
- An employee can bring a civil action suit against an employer
White collar exemptions:
- Executive, administrative, professional
- Computer professional is the only one who can be hourly – all others must me on salary
Salary docking – for an exempt employee can prorate for the 1st day of work and the last day of work
Safe Harbor – policy must be included in employee handbook
Jan 1st, 2020 – $913 week goes up by the cost of living
Non wage – bonus, commissions, sick pay, vacation pay, certain benefits not included in the $8.05/hour or the $913/week
Industries – exempt from FLSA
- Amusement park if seasonal
Employers – $500,000 revenue threshold